Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ovi maps in china

Saturday, April 10, 2010
I brought a new N97 n just a week after my purchase Nokia announced that ovi maps will offer free navigation. This was great news as I was going on a trip to China 3 days later.
Visiting China can be a very taxing experience all thanks to language problem coupled with food especially if you are a muslim. In china it isn’t possible to rent a car and drive yourself but still Ovi had an essential role to play as my route planner and enabling me to calculate distance of travel and time taken etc.
It is my customary practice to always read namaz (pray) in a mosque every Friday, as Friday is regarded as auspicious in Islam. In Shenzhen there are not many mosques so I had a tough time inquiring with locals but then I used ovi maps and and viola I found a mosque, hired a taxi and followed the directions. It was a lot of fun reaching to the mosque with the help of ovi, the prayers start around 1:pm so it was important I reach on time, The my location feature on ovi maps is rocking good, which allowed me to locate my position on the map and find out distance left.
Ovi maps is a great software especially very helpful to tourist. I used ovi maps to track important events happening in china during my stay, getting contact and route directions to Indian non veg (halal) hotels, deciding what type of transport was better to reach which place, etc
ovi maps is operable even without any network coverage for me this was the biggest plus point. Loading maps in advance n then heading out to unravel the day was a lot of fun .

That was my Ovi maps story !

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice story!
I want to know did you use A-GPS when you were in China?
I am from Hong Kong and the Ovi Maps works GREAT here.
But last time when i went to Guangzhou in China, my 5800 Ovi maps didn't works. I turned off A-GPS cause I don't want to be charged for roaming GPRS fee. Without A-GPS the built-in GPS took several minutes to locate myself, and it worked once only.